During the second trimester (4-6 months or 12-28 wks)
- You will start to feel the baby move
- You may have some back pain
- You may notice the weight gain
- You may notice a dark line down the center of your abdomen; caused by hormone changes.
- Sometimes bleeding gums may occur, continue to see your dentist
- Difficulty with breathing is expected, go slower.
- Varicose veins may come up; wear thigh high support stockings, don’t cross your legs, put your feet up if possible.
- Stretch marks will begin, lotion will help with itching, your abdomen will feel heavy abdominal support is an option, see our website for choices.
- Acne may be noticeable, and darker pigment may occur on your face. These will go away after delivery.
- Some contractions, 2 or 4 times a day called Braxton hicks contractions are not worrisome. If you have more than 5 an hour, call us.
- You may become anemic and need extra iron, take iron with fruit juice and increase fiber to combat constipation.
- Your side may ache when you walk, go up stairs, or get out of bed, the uterus growing is stretching ligaments.
Meanwhile your baby at 16 weeks is developing ears, eyelashes, and fingernails. His legs are longer and his fingers open and close. He is moving and hair is on the head. He can hear your heartbeat and voice.
By 20 weeks he is covered with fine hair (lanugo) and can practice sucking. By now he is 7 inches long.
At 24 weeks his eye movements begin. At 28 weeks his skin becomes a little wrinkled, and he can practice breathing movements. Eyes open and close, a healthy baby born now has a good chance of survival. He is 10 inches long and weighs about 1-1 ½ lbs.
Things you can do:
- Start sleeping on your side, right or left, as long as you are off your back.
- Take your one-hour glucose test.
- At about 28 weeks, start counting how many times your baby moves in an hour.
- Sign up for a childbirth class, tour the hospital
Call us if:
If you are bleeding like a period
If you have a severe headache
If you have severe abdominal pain
If you have any feeling of pressure or pain that comes and goes 5 or more times an hour.
If there is leaking from your vagina.