Hysterectomy Post Operative instructions
- Schedule your post operative appointment for 10 days as soon as possible after you arrive home.
- No heavy lifting, straining, vacuuming or reaching for 6 weeks.
- No exercising for 6 weeks.
- No driving for 2 weeks AND not taking narcotic pain meds.
- Walking is o.k., eat a high fiber diet, take your usual medications.
Care of abdominal incision:
- No tub baths/submersion for 2 weeks.
- No swimming for 4 weeks.
- Shower daily.
- Clean incision 3 times a day with a mixture of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water.
- Keep incision dry between cleanings.
- It is normal for the incision to drain.
- If incision swells with redness, is warm to touch, or has an odor, contact your doctor.
- No douching or tampons for 6 weeks.
- No intercourse (sex) for 6 weeks.
- It is normal to experience some discharge and/or vaginal drainage for 2-4 weeks.
- It is normal to experience some spotting in the post operative period (2-6 weeks) .
- Fever above 100.5 F.
- Heavy abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Severe abdominal pain.
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
- Inability to urinate or have a bowel movement.